Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Man Who Dressed the Tarantula

Jonathen Kinney of Columbus Airbrush will be the artist responsible for the look our eight-foot, eight-legged friend Stella the Spider will be wearing at HighBall.  Check out this chat to hear a little more about this artist and his airbrush skills.





What exactly does your studio do?

We specialize in air brushing. We will customize anything brought into us. We’ve done murals, body art shows, costume retouching. We’ve done a few motorcycles but not much automotive stuff. We mostly do a lot of shirts and apparel.

It sounds like you really keep busy. Where else might we see your work?

Everywhere! There are murals all over and some bikes around town. We work with Mascot Organization to do some of the local mascots. We have worked with Budweiser, Columbus Dog Connection, and Broadview Bloodbath, a haunted house in, connection with Midwest Honors Connection.

How did you first get involved in the arts?

I’ve been involved in art my entire life and airbrushing for fifteen years now. I saw someone do it when I was sixteen, and I said “That is what I want to do.” Its important to do what you want for a living.

Agreed. What is your favorite project that you have worked on?

My favorite is probably a personal project of mine. I made a seven foot six Transformer costume. I won the WNCI costume contest a few years ago and a few other competitions. It was just cardboard and duct tape that I air brushed. I’m thinking of bringing it back out for HighBall.

That would be amazing! How did you get involved with the HighBall tarantula?

Broadview Bloodbath got me in touch with it. Robin Walters called saying they were looking for someone to paint this giant spider and I made arrangements with MaryEllen from HighBall. It sounded interesting, even though I’m pretty afraid of spiders. I just thought it sounded great to paint a spider the size of a truck. 

Do you have a favorite scary movie or monster?

Umm, probably Paranormal Activity. I just saw the third and it was pretty good.

What are you most looking forward to at HighBall?

 Oh, all the unique costumes. Some people spend so much time and effort. It really shows what a person can do.

What is your favorite part of Halloween?

Giving out candy to the kids. I really enjoy it. I like the Reese’s cups but can't eat them because I will get too fat.