Friday, October 21, 2011

Designer Q&A: Crys Lappie

Check out this Q& A with fabulous designer Crys Lappie, whose work will be among those vying for the top prize at HighBall this year!  Her vintage-inspired styles will surely make for some stunning looks on the runway, so be sure to check her out!






How did you get into the world of fashion?


I began by redesigning vintage clothing into modern fashions. Vintage clothing have so many beautiful stories that have been woven into the fibers of the fabric, that I wanted to add a new chapter to the fashion I was creating.




How would you describe your design aesthetic?


Pin up, rockabilly and style that inspirits fashions from the 50's and early 60's.


What are you using as inspiration for the work you’ll be showing at HighBall?


My inspiration is Japanese Fruits, which is a street style inspired by Japanese anime. Female characters of Japanamation look like fragile dolls but are often powerful heroines in the story.


What are some of your major design influences?


Most of my originally designed hand cut stencils are influenced by my observations of the world around me including nature, flowers and people. I'm also heavily influenced by vintage fashion from the late 40's through the early 60's.


Who are you wearing RIGHT NOW?


tee-hee...Right now I am wearing a hand made hat by local artist, Julie Thomas, a vintage Willie Nelson t-shirt and lounge pants.


If you could design an outfit for a celebrity to wear on the red carpet who would you want to dress and why?


Kat Von D because I love her style and would love to design a dress that would celebrate the tattooed art on her body.


Where do you see yourself and your career in five years?


I want to live and work on the west coast redesigning vintage lingerie for burlesque dancers.


What do you think separates a costume from regular clothing?


Regular clothing expresses who we are as a person, whereas costumes allow us to creatively become someone else.


What’s the best way for fans of your work to keep tabs on you or even purchase some of your pieces?


My fans can stalk me on facebook at facebook.com/labelyourself. visit my studio in Gahanna or purchase pieces on my online Etsy boutique at labelyourself.etsy.com
Right now I have been so busy with custom orders that I currently don't have anything on Etsy. New pieces will be added no later than mid November.


To see more from Crys and all of the HighBall designers, be there on October 28th and witness TRANSFORMATIONS - Who will you be??